Friday, April 20, 2007

The Beginning of the Skein

Hello! This is my first post, and my first blog, a place to share my encounters with yarn, and any other beautiful thing I come across. I started knitting almost a year ago, when I returned from a trip to Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne was beautiful! There were so many shops full of beautiful handmade things, so many lovely outfits and shop windows. Even a local green grocer made a new vegetable sculpture each day in the front window! Walking through the streets of Melbourne was a reminder of how beautiful each day can be if we take the time to pay attention. When I returned to Christchurch, I decided I needed to start creating beautiful things myself. I had learned to knit many years before, but it was a disaster. My first hat on circular needles turned into a mobius strip! But upon returning from Melbourne, I purchased a copy of Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch, and some knitting needles and yarn from Goodwill, and away I went! The only other knitter I know is my sister (I taught her at Christmas), but she's on the other side of the globe. So, this is my public entry into the world of knitting, and a way of getting in touch with other knitters. Happy knitting!

No comments: